History, tradition, and territory
In a document from 1735, there was the first official citation of Culatello from the Municipality of Parma. Culatello di Zibello PDO is in the historical memory of the rural culture, which nowadays still resists in the houses of Bassa Parmense where the tradition preserves the quality of the food. The processing area of Culatello di Zibello PDO includes the following municipalities of Parma: Polesine, Busseto, Zibello, Soragna, Roccabianca, San Secondo, Sissa, and Colorno.
Culatello di Zibello PDO is made from the back of the adult pig’s leg. This is the best part because it is tenderer and precious and is carefully trimmed, sprinkled with salt and energetically massaged so it can rest. After rest, it is introduced into the pig’s bladder and tied in the classic “pear” shape.
After the first drying period (in which Culatello di Zibello PDO needs a dry and sometimes heated environment), the moisture helps to keep the salami soft and to allow its slow maturation.
The combination of summer heat and autumn fogs makes Culatello di Zibello PDO ready for the next winter after processing.
The slices are uniformly red, thin, soft and with white fat. It has an intense and distinctive scent. The flavor is sweet and delicate, with an aromatic note.
To best enjoy the Culatello di Zibello PDO it’s recommended to wrap it in the cotton cloth previously moistened with white wine and let rest for a few days. Before that, it’s essential to remove the string and the skin.
It is better to eat it at natural, with thin slices, and with homemade bread. It can be served with butter.
An estimator of Culatello di Zibello PDO was the composer Giuseppe Verdi, known as the “Swan of Busseto”, a town located in the province of Parma, one of the production areas of this excellent salami. Culatello was already present on the aristocrat tables in the past centuries. Gabriele D’Annunzio also appreciated the Culatello, which he called “delicious delight, salty and red solidity pig”.
Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) recognized under Reg. ne EU Reg.to CE n. 1263 of 01.07.1996 GUCE L 163 of 02.07.1996.